United Way Seeking Information Management Specialists for 211 PEI
Position Title: Information Management Specialist, 211 PEI
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Manager, Community Impact
Positions: 2 Full time 1 year contract positions (with possibility of extension)
Salary Range: $40,000 - $45,000 Annually
211 is the source Canadians trust when seeking information and services to deal with life’s challenges. 211’s award-winning telephone help line (2-1-1) and website provide a gateway to community, social, non-clinical health and related government services. 211 helps to navigate the complex network of human services quickly and easily, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 100 languages.
211 connects people to the right information and services, strengthens Canada’s health and human services, and helps Canadians become more engaged with their communities. United Way of PEI, with the support of the Province of Prince Edward Island as part of the Poverty Reduction Action Plan, is working to bring 211 to Island residents.
Job Summary: Under the general supervision of the Manager Community Impact, the Information Management Specialist completes tasks and duties as assigned in the collection, organization and maintenance of the information in the 211 database that is used by Information and Referral Specialists and the general public via the public facing website. The specialist researches community and social service agencies, entering selected information about them and their activities into subject categories according to defined standards. As a front line contact with the public and service agencies, the employee is expected to present a professional image and respond in a manner consistent with the mission vision and values of 211 PEI and the United Way of PEI.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that all data related to 211 services is managed effectively and in accordance with Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) standards including:
o Creating and updating records in the database, through data entry, according to current AIRS standards
o Identifying resources that require updating
o Connecting with the appropriate contact person for each resource
o Requesting relevant and up-to-date information, by telephone or electronically
o Abstracting information from relevant print and electronic sources, and verifying accuracy and currency of the information with data sources and community contacts.
o Ensuring resource records are thoroughly and consistently indexed
o Making new and updated information available to 211PEI and delivery partners.
- Assists in the development and occasional revision of internal 211 database standards or guidelines and ensures that data is managed accordingly
- Receives new data, troubleshoots and resolves all manner of data quality issues that arise through regular contact, either pro-active or reactive in nature, with the Manager of Community Impact, 211 Information and Referral Specialists and 211 end users or service providers
- As a quality assurance ambassador for 211 PEI , the specialist may perform outreach education and /or attend meetings with service agencies or partners as required
- Creates and distributes reports, either ad-hoc or system generated, internally to 211 management and externally to service agencies, on request or as part of a regular quality assurance process
- Participates in system testing and troubleshooting, and working with vendors to rectify identified issues
- Successfully completes any required training to fulfill these duties
- Other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- Certificate or diploma in the field of library and information studies, human services or equivalent
- AIRS Resource Specialist certification; or a commitment to attain the certification within the first year of employment
- Recent related experience of one to two years; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience; or other qualifications determined to be reasonable and relevant to the level of work
The following attributes will be considered as assets in performing the duties of this position:
- Basic knowledge of HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language) coding
- Education in or experience with manipulating information within database structures
- Demonstrated interest or experience in the not- for- profit or volunteer community service sector
- Bilingualism (French and English) in both the oral and written language
Job Skills and Abilities:
- Effective communication skills both oral and written and a passion for detail
- Ability to research, summarize, and organize information, giving exact attention to detail
- Data entry experience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of community services sectors in PEI
- Understanding of data analytics and applications within the social services sector
- Experience in a similar role in a nonprofit /social enterprise/impact business organization
- A positive and proactive outlook with an ability to work within a multidisciplinary team to achieve common goals
- Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the public and community agencies and to maintain good public relations
- Ability to manage multiple projects, prioritize work under pressure, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and to allocate time and other resources effectively
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with all staff members
- Ability to make effective public and internal presentations
- Ability to take direction
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This position may require long hours and/or weekend work during peak times.
Travel is primarily local during the business day. Some out-of-province and overnight travel may be necessary on occasion.
For consideration for this position, please submit by email a resume, and cover letter no later than 4 p.m. on February Wednesday February 27, 2019, to attention of David Webster at email@example.com with a subject line of Information Management Specialist 211 PEI.
* We thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position, however, only those being considered will be contacted.